Monday, April 28, 2008

Not Wired, First Volley

This is my first chance to dance across the keys with a few rants on local politics and the usual "Chicago Way",as John Kass would put it. I'm a Chicagoan, born and raised, but what would make me think I'd have anything to post that would be worth reading? It's simple, really.

How many mornings have you opened the (your daily newspaper of choice inserted here) just moments before your coffee has cleared a path to conciousness only to be confronted with a story which causes a wisp of steam to rise from an area other than the cup in hand? Yeah...me, too. When I was a lad spending my summers on a relative's dairy farm across the "Cheddar Curtain", certain of my cousins were convinced the city was filled with gangsters who controlled everything and that none of the streets here were safe. I thought they were crazy. Now, I think maybe they had it right.

In my formative years, I believed "Da Mayor" ( The Honorable Richard J. Daley) was the only mayor this city ever had. Things are so simple when you're eight. Nothing is supposed to change. All is well, as long as it stays the same. I aged a bit and realized things haven't changed at all. A few names, a few faces, maybe a job description, (to keep abreast of rabid political correctness), but still the same as I remembered. Things get done the same way. We just don't hear the details until someone gets indicted.

It may be that things could change. I'm just a regular guy whose kids will never see a city contract or get moved to the top of a hiring list. I don't know anybody who's somebody. Like most of my fellow Chicagoans, I'm not wired, but I do have something to say. I'll rant. You comment. Let's see if we can have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your thoughts! However, comments containing profuse profanity, inane insults (unless they're entertaining), or anything else that makes us cranky may disappear.

Related Posts with Thumbnails